Explore the abandoned Ellis Island Hospital complex, once the standard for United States medical care and later transformed into a US Coast Guard base and FBI detention center. It has been left to decay for nearly 60 years. Now, Untapped New York partnered with Save Ellis Island to create an exclusive behind-the-scenes hard hat tour of the abandoned hospital. On this experience, you will discover the laundry building, contagious disease wards, autopsy rooms, staff house and so much more as you walk in the footsteps of the immigrants who were there a hundred years ago. While exploring the buildings you will also see several life-size photographs of immigrants pasted on the walls of the abandoned buildings. They are part of JR’s exhibition “Unframed – Ellis Island”.
- Exclusive hard hat tour inside the abandoned Ellis Island Hospital, in partnership with Save Ellis Island
- Access buildings usually off-limits to the public
- Discover the history of this hospital, once the standard for the U.S. medical care and abandoned since 1954
- See what life was like in the hospital as you explore the laundry building, contagious disease wards, autopsy rooms, staff house and more
- Round trip ferry tickets (from Manhattan or NJ starting May 29th) and access to the Ellis Island National Museum of Immigration are included in your tickets